Book Review: All Scot and Bothered (Devil You Know) by Kerrigan Byrne

 All Scot and Bothered is the second book in the Devil You Know series by Kerrigan Byrne. You do not need to have read the previous book to enjoy this one, but it will make most of the characters and some of the set up easier to understand and give readers a bigger picture of the dangerous undercurrents of the series.

He is first and foremost—at everything. A man who’s made his own way through ruthless cunning and sheer force of will. A strong and imposing Scot who can turn on the charm but does not suffer fools. His title: Lord Chief Justice of the High Court. His name: Cassius Gerard Ramsay. His mission: To investigate the goings-on at London's most notorious gaming hell, owned and operated by one of the most intriguing and desirable women he’s ever met. Cecelia Teague was an orphan facing a rather dire future—until a secret benefactor from her mother’s scandalous past swept into her life. Sent to a prestigious boarding school and later to university, Cecelia believed high society was at her fingertips...Then, from out of nowhere, she became the inheritor of a gambling establishment. Now Cecelia must live two lives: one as a proper lady who finds herself undeniably drawn to Lord Ramsay and the other as a savvy gaming hell owner trying to save her business from the very same man. He has no idea she is both women...and Cecelia would like to keep it that way. But what happens when consuming passion and escalating danger threaten to reveal the truth?

All Scot and Bothered is a romance that left me with mixed feelings. I liked the set up, and the characters, but something just never hit the mark for me. I really liked Cecelia's character. She was strong, smart, and sweet despite having gone through more than her fair share of trouble. Similarly, Ramsay has had a painful past, and as a result has some blind spots. I liked their banter when they were actually communicating, and their chemistry is off the charts and well done. I really liked that both Ramsay and Cecelia are so focus on protecting others but will admit to being more than a little upset with each of them during various moments in the story. I know there would not be much conflict between them if Ramsay was not so stubborn and blind when he focuses on something, most often the wrong thing. But, between that and Cecelia's crying, which she recognized in herself, I found myself annoyed. I thought the characters ad the larger story elements were very interesting, and I will keep reading the series, I just felt like the execution of the story did not hit my fairly high expectations for the book. I wanted to love it, and I did love some individual aspects of it, but as a whole I liked the read but was left wanting. 

All Scot and Bothered is a good historical romance with strong characters and a nice balance of heat, heart, and danger.

No comments: