Early Book Review: Death on the Green (Dublin Driver) by Catie Murphy

Death on the Green is the second book in the Dublin Driver series by Catie Murphy and is currently scheduled for release on September 29 2020. I have read (and enjoyed) the first book in the series, which gives a good character and situational understanding for readers. However, I think newcomers to the series would be able to catch on pretty quickly.

Life has been non-stop excitement for American Army veteran Megan Malone ever since she moved to Ireland and became a driver for Dublin’s Leprechaun Limousine Service. She’s solved a murder and adopted two lovable Jack Russell puppies. Currently, she’s driving world-class champion golfer Martin Walsh, and he’s invited her to join him while he plays in a tournament at a prestigious Irish locale. Unfortunately, there’s a surprise waiting for her on the course—a body floating in a water hazard. Everyone loved golfer Lou MacDonald, yet he clearly teed off someone enough to be murdered. Martin seems to be the only one with a motive. However, he also has an alibi: Megan and hundreds of his fans were watching him play. Now, with a clubhouse at a historical lodge full of secrets and a dashing Irish detective by her side, Megan must hurry to uncover the links to the truth before the real killer takes a swing at someone else.

Death on the Green is a solid mystery with twists that I did not expect and character development that kept me turning pages past my bedtime. Megan is quickly becoming my favorite protagonist in mysteries. She is smart, quick thinking, and curious without purposefully putting herself, or others, in danger. Whenever I read a mystery I am trying to decide who the most likely parties for the crime right from the very beginning. Usually I have it down pretty quickly, but this one had me guessing for quite awhile and surprised at a couple of the twists. I had a few of the pieces before they were revealed, but the bigger picture had more than I was expecting. I enjoyed getting to know the new characters, and was glad that Megan asked the questions I would have wanted to ask in her place. I also like that friendships are formed and develop, and there are mentions or suggestions of romantic feelings, but they are very much secondary to the rest of each character rather than what defines them. I also liked that I get to learn more about the area, and things like golf or other things irrelevant to my life but important to the story as I read. I am always happy to learn new things, and Megan's eagerness to do the same makes me happy. I was extremely invested in the story, and the little tease for the next installment included at the end of the book has me very interested in continuing the series.

Death on the Green is a fabulous follow up in this series. It had a satisfying conclusion, to an engaging mystery, ad still left me eager for more.

No comments: