Book Review: Must Love Dogs...and Hockey by Kelly Jamieson

 

Must Love Dogs...and Hockey by Kelly Jamieson is a sports romance. Lilly: My life is like the love child of a train wreck and a dumpster fire right now. I’ve been canned, my professional reputation is shredded, and now I’m walking dogs to make ends meet. But I still believe everything will work out, somehow. Then a dog at the park attacks my friend’s dog. At first, I’m ready to give the owner hell—but it turns out he’s in desperate need of doggie daycare. I figure, why not? I love dogs and I need the cash. Too bad his cocky bad boy attitude annoys me. He’s too damn cute for his own good. And I’m not talking about the dog. Easton: My coach is riding my ass and I’m not handling it well. When I’m saddled with an abandoned pooch, my teammate thinks a dog will keep my temper in check. I think I have enough problems already. But when my new dog gets into a tussle that leads me to meet a smoking hot chick who knows how to handle the rascal, I start to think pet ownership isn’t all bad. At least it gives me an excuse to see Lilly again. Neither of us are interested in a relationship. First they steal your bed, then they steal your heart. And I’m not talking about the dog.

Must Love Dogs...and Hockey is a contemporary romance with a dash or pets and hockey. Lilly is down on her luck, and meeting Easton could change that, or make everything even worse. Add in an abusive coach, neurotic rescued pooch, and starting a new business walking dogs and everything is on the line. Facing down bad memories and worries for present and future while working toward a happy ending is far from simple, but these two stumble through it. I liked them each on their own, and as a couple. They each had plenty of baggage to unpack, and I liked when they supported each other as that happened, and when they had to work things out on their own. I will admit that I had trouble getting engaged with this book, but honestly it could very well have been me rather than the book. I liked the set up, and the characters, but I just could not see to get fully invested and then found the wrap up to be a little rushed. However, I also read this as I was going back to work in the building rather than from home, figuring out the school schedule for the kids- only to have it all change- and so on. I do plan on looking for the next book from the author, since there was a hint as to characters I want to see more of coming into play. So I think my mild disinterest comes more from me not being able to settle my mind, rather than the actual book.

Must Love Dogs...and Hockey is a romance with a good set up, interesting characters, and a nice dose of heat. I think I will need to revisit once things settle down a bit.

No comments: