Audio Book Review: Playing To Win (Ice Kings) by Stacey Lynn, Narrated by Liam DiCosimo, Stella Hunter

 Playing To Win is the first book in the Ice Kings series written by Stacey Lynn and narrated by Liam DiCosimo and Stella Hunter. It was a three-week fling. Nothing more than a couple of college kids having some fun, but then I did the stupid thing and fell for Jude Taylor quicker than he can score a goal on the ice. And after one beautiful night together, he left for the pros before I could make my first cup of coffee. I thought I’d put him behind me. I thought I’d moved on. Then he hobbles into my physical therapy office and I realize how absolutely wrong I’ve been - there’s no getting over Jude Taylor. But now things are complicated. Jude lives half a country away and his career is in direct opposition to my need for stability. Most of all, getting involved with him could mean losing my job and everything I’ve worked so hard for. Jude doesn’t seem to mind one bit and he’s all in. He might be a patient in my office, but he’s no longer the patient guy I remember.


Playing To Win is the third or fourth book I have read (or listened to) from this author. I rarely listen to romance, usually choosing to read rather than listen, but the narrators might have made me a bit more willing to listen, at least with my headphones though maybe not in my car. I enjoyed the voice work and thought the tension and emotions were well done, and I really enjoyed the effect of dual narrators. I liked the characters, and the build up of their story. Second chance romances are not my favorite trope, but when done well they are fantastic and this story does it well. Jude is a good guy that just happens to be a hockey player. He fell hard for Kate, but just when he had his chance with her he made it pro in hockey and it never had a chance to grow. Now they have another chance, but her career may be on the line and fears about his injury bringing his career to an end way too early are huge obstacles that need to be faced.  I really enjoyed them finding their way back to each other, and I liked the secondary characters. I felt like there was plenty of room left for this series to continue with more books. My biggest complaint was not finding out why two of the secondary characters seem to dislike others with no explanation, and why a couple I am sure will have their own book soon are clinging so hard to just being friends. I fully expect to keep following this series just to see if I get those answers.

Playing To Win is an entertaining and engaging romance novel, fans of second chance romance and sports romance will particularly enjoy it. 

No comments: