Early Book Review: Spells for the Dead (Soulwood) by Faith Hunter

Spells for the Dead is the fifth book in the Soulwood series by Faith Hunter and is currently scheduled for release on July 28 2020. I highly recommend reading this series in order, and having read the Jane Yellowrock series would not hurt although is not as needed, to really enjoy the read and know what is going on. Even as a return reader it still takes a bit to remember the details and get entrenched in Nell's world. 

Nell is a rookie PsyLED agent, using the powers she can channel from deep within the earth to solve paranormal crimes. Together with her team, she's taken on the direst magic and the most twisted foes. But she'll need to tap into every ounce of power she has for her newest case. Nell is called to the Tennessee mansion of a country music star and finds a disturbing scene—dead bodies rapidly decaying before everyone's eyes. The witch on her team, T. Laine, has never seen magic that can steal life forces like this. PsyLED needs to find this lethal killer fast. But when a paranormal-hating FBI agent tries to derail the investigation, and the dark magics begin to spiral out of control, they find themselves under attack from all sides.

Spells for the Dead is a mystery with significant twists and turns and character growth. I enjoyed seeing Nell continue to grow, in her understanding of herself, the world in general, and the people that mean the most to her. The story of Nell, PsyLED, and Nell's family is all very well told. So much introspection and exploration of how the magic of the worlds works, and how seemingly small things can mean a great deal. The mystery was very intriguing, and the magic very dark. Nell and crew follow the trail and the twists make them look closer at the pasts of those involved, and the skills they have, much closer than anyone really wants to. I thought the work with Mud and Esther was pretty much perfect, and I am interested to see where their lives take them, and Nell's relationship and future has me equally hooked. Hunter, as always, has me just as interested in the individuals and small moments as the larger story. 

I think I took longer to read this than I would have normally because of that darkness. I was just in a place that I needed to be reading something much lighter (because of the real world) but I needed to know what happened next so badly that I could not put the book away. If the real world was not a dumpster fire with people proving how horrible they can be, I would have enjoyed the skill that was clearly displayed in this book so much more. 

Spells for the Dead is a solid continuation of the series, and I am eager to see what Hunter does with this world next.

No comments: