Book Review: Seer (Titanomachy) by S E Welsh

Seer is the first book in the Titanomachy series by S E Welsh. A Seer has surfaced--but she's blind! Chloe Santos is an immortal with a whole world of problems. The victim of an attempted murder that left her blind, horribly disfigured, and stuck with powers everyone thought eradicated, it's safe to say she's at a low point in her life. But then she's blackmailed into investigating a kidnapping with links to her past. It could put herself, and everyone she cares about, in danger.  Including her Warrior Soulmate. Phobos has a millennia of blood on his hands. As the son of Ares, he's done horrific things in the name of keeping the continued existence of immortals a secret. Only all of that changes when he meets his Soulmate. Allegiances shift, trust is thin and Chloe has to decide if she should risk everything to make the world a better place. Even if that means sacrificing her own chance at happiness. 

Seer is a good start to a urban fantasy and romance series. I liked the set up for the mingling of gods and humans and how the world ended up where it was in relation to that. I liked the depth of the characters, and the demonstration that even the most powerful, sometimes especially the powerful, are prone to insecurity and worry about betrayal and losing what they have. I think the set up and the action were pretty good. I liked the story, and I enjoyed getting to know the characters. It felt like I was reading some of the books I used to devour, and it was a bit nostalgic for me, but I have to admit that I was a little more than half way through when my investment started to fade. I started to get distracted and less interested in the story, I do not know if it was just because of all the troubles in the world that made me less interested in reading about these troubles, or if I just was not in the mood for it. However, I do think this is a good book, and if you are looking for a new series with romance, political machinations, lots of big personalities, and plenty of sex then you will want to give this one a try. I did have a giggle about this book. The blurb had a reader's advisory that the sex would not be vanilla. True- I guess, but I did not find that any of it was shocking enough to require a warning label, but I did appreciate the effort to care for readers. 

Seer is a solid series starter promising big action, interesting characters, and conflicts.

No comments: