Book Review: Ruthless Bastard (Dangerous Love) by Stacey Kennedy

Ruthless Bastard is the third book in the Dangerous Love series by Stacey Kennedy. While part of a series, and returning readers will get more out of the read than newcomers, it can be enjoyed as a stand alone as well. Bar owner Kinsley Knight knows exactly what she wants: Rhett West. How could she resist over six feet of hard, trained physical perfection? Never mind that she's been in love with the guy since high school, or that she's the "kid sister" of his best friend. Never mind that one unforgettably intense and heated night they shared-and the unexpected consequences. But Rhett can't afford to get distracted by the mind-blowingly hot night he spent with Kinsley, or the insatiable hunger he still feels for her. She's off-limits. Especially now that Rhett's been investigating the members of a vicious biker gang who have invaded his town, and they're intent on putting Kinsley out of business-permanently. Suddenly, all of Rhett's protective instincts have taken over. Because no one threatens Kinsley on his watch. Not now. Not ever. And Rhett's ruthless enough to protect Kinsley no matter the cost. Even if it means risking his heart.
Ruthless Bastard is a good friends to lovers romance, with plenty of danger and heat to keep readers interested. I have not read the previous books, which is surprising since I enjoy the author's style, so I did not have the background knowledge of the characters. However, I think the book does a good job of illustrating the character relationships and dynamics so that new readers would be able to catch up fairly quickly. I really liked Rhett's character and how he was doing his best and wanted to protect those around him, even from himself. I will admit that I was a little annoyed with the descriptions of Kinsley as so 'not like other girls'. She is low maintenance, understands the demands of law enforcement and the military on others, and owns a bar- so clearly different from all the other girls. This is a pet peeve of mine, and it might not even come across this way to others, but it started wearing on me during the read. I did like the arc of her coming together with Rhett, and I liked the mystery and danger involved. Although, I did make several guesses about who was involved with what early on, and was proven right. The clues to this seemed a little too obvious, but I read almost as many mysteries as romances so I am often looking pretty hard for that sort of thing. As a whole I enjoyed the read, but a couple personal preferences made it an okay read rather than the winner that I was really expecting from the author.
Ruthless Bastard is an engaging contemporary romance. Fans of the author and the series will definitely want to pick this one up. 

No comments: