Early Book Review: How to Love Your Elf (Embraced by Magic) by Kerrelyn Sparks

How to Love Your Elf is the first book in the Embraced by Magic series by Kerrelyn Sparks, however I think it could also be counted as book four of the Embraced series for continuity's sake. I would recommend reading the previous four books for a better understanding of the character and world building that has already been done but think that newcomers could catch on to the story pretty quickly. 

Sorcha knew the mission was dangerous. Leaving the safe grounds of her brother’s kingdom and parlaying with the elves across their border . . . well, treachery seemed at least as likely as true peace. But to support her sister, Sorcha would brave far more than the underhanded ways of the elves. Or so she thought, before she was taken hostage. Of course, her captors didn’t count on her particular abilities—or on the help of the Woodsman, the mysterious thief who made his home in the forest. He saw the battle from the trees, saw the soldier attacking against incredible odds to save a comrade—and then saw the valiant fighter revealed as Princess Sorcha of Norveshka. He can’t tell if he wants to kidnap her or kiss her. But despite Sorcha’s stubbornness, his inconvenient honor, and a rebellion on the cusp of full war, something burns between them that neither can let go.

How to Love Your Elf took me a few pages to remember where the story of the sisters raised on the Isle of Moon left off. I did a quick check to make sure I had not missed any because it just felt like it had been so long since I had read the previous book from Sparks. Thankfully I was up to date and just had to jog my memory a bit. I really enjoyed both Sorcha and the Woodman character. They are both good people, with stubborn streaks a mile wide, and the need to help those around them. Exploring their insecurities, doubts, and attempts to protect each other, and their own hearts, was interesting and engaging to read. I liked getting to know more and more of their personalities and to see some of the characters from the earlier stories continue their tales or make cameos. I will admit that I find the individual character arcs to be much more important and interesting to me personally than the larger story about the circle of five and their nasty plans, but I am interested to see where that part of the story goes. I am also quite invested in reading the next book- because I have been waiting for Brody and Meave to have their time since this whole story began. 

How to Love Your Elf is a good story that is part of a larger whole. Although, the romance and many of the characters can be fully enjoyed and understood without reading the previous books. 

No comments: