Early Book Review: Dekoboko Sugar Days by TOKYOPOP, Yusen Atsuko

Dekoboko Sugar Days by Yusen Atsuko and Tokyopop is currently scheduled for release on February 18 2020.  Yuujirou Matsukaze has been close friends with Rui Hanamine since the two of them were children, and at that time, Yuujirou was the one who stood up for and took care of his adorable, soft-hearted friend. But as it turns out, Yuujirou's childhood dreams end up growing a little too big to handle - or, rather, too tall! At over six feet in height, the cheerful and happy-go-lucky Rui towers over his would-be protector, and still has no idea Yuujirou's had a crush on him since they were kids!

Dekoboko Sugar Days is an enjoyable graphic novel that show two fairly clueless high school guys finding their way from friends to more. They each have to figure out their own feelings and then gather the courage to share that information with each other. I like that it showed their continued struggles with communication- which often gets left out of the story. Insecurities and figuring things out is more than half the struggle particularly for young and new adults that are still trying to figure out what they want, never mind how to talk about it with they person you care most about. The assumptions of those around them, and the doubts they each had felt the most real in the story. I liked the artwork, although I do have to admit that there were a couple of moments that I confused a couple of characters and it took me a minute to figure it out. I liked the occasional breaks in the fourth wall, and the amount of humor that was sprinkled through the story. I had a few issues with continuity or flowing storyline, particularly the moment of their first time together. I felt like a couple pages were missing, as they went from insanely awkward to french kissing to clarifying that Rui was still good to be bottom. I missed any conversation about that, and I went back to make sure I had not accidentally flipped pages to quick or something. So I did enjoy the story, I did see many tropes and stereotypes, but for the most part I was happy with the read.

Dekoboko Sugar Days is a read that hit some good points, and a few head scratching moments. However, overall I enjoyed the read. 

No comments: