Early Book Review: Make Your Move (Gamer Girls) by Laura Heffernan

Make Your Move is the third book in the Gamer Girls series by Laura Heffernan. I have read the second book in the series, but not the first. All of the books seem to stand up well on their own. There is significant character overlap so returning readers will get some bonuses from that aspect, but new readers will still be able to fully enjoy the story. This book is currently scheduled for release on December 17 2019.

At twenty-eight, Shannon has yet to fall in love. Which is fine, since she’d rather spend her evenings creating games than swiping right or going on awkward blind dates. Right now though, she has two little problems. First, she’s stuck for a new game idea. Second, the only candidate in her roommate search is Tyler, the gaming buddy who’s long had an unrequited crush on her. It should be awkward. But when Tyler moves in, the situation doesn’t go at all the way Shannon expected. Between helping her deal with coworkers and fixing the bugs in her latest game, Tyler’s proving to be damn near perfect. Except for the fact that he’s falling for someone else. Maybe Shannon has already forfeited her turn. Maybe she’s playing for nothing but heartache. But the best games have endings you can never predict.

Make Your Move is a romance that handles the friends to more trope beautifully and treats the spectrum of sexuality with honesty and respect. I really enjoyed getting to see Shannon's character as she struggled with so much all at once. The back stabbing and issues at work were sadly very realistic, and there were a couple times I had to walk away from the book for a minute because it was stressing me out. Similarly there were a couple moments that made me want to kick Tyler. Even though he is an extremely well written character, and one I would like to have in my circle of friends, there were moments that he really made me angry. Both characters were very concistand in their personalities, and their actions were on point throughout the story. I think my liking for both characters made the conflicts of the story that much harder to bear. I was completely engaged in the story right from the start, and really enjoy the group of characters that this series follows. I can think of a few secondary characters that I would love to read about next, and I will continue to read Hefferman's books. 

Make Your Move is a fantastic read that had me emotional enough that I had to close the book a few times. 

No comments: