Early Book Review: Blood & Ash (Jezebel Files) by Deborah Wilde

Blood & Ash is the first book in the Jezebel Files series by Deborah Wilde. It is currently scheduled for release on January 14 2020. 
Ashira Cohen takes pride in being the only female private investigator in Vancouver. With her skills, her missing persons case should be a piece of cake. She wasn’t counting on getting bashed in the skull, revealing a hidden tattoo and supernatural powers she shouldn’t possess. Or the bitter icing on top: a spree of abductions and terrifying ghostly creatures on a deadly bender. And don’t even get her started on the golems. Reluctantly partnered with her long-time nemesis Levi, the infuriating leader of the magic community, Ash resolves to keep her focus on the clue trail and off their sexual tension because WTF is up with that? But with a mastermind organization pulling strings from the shadows and Levi’s arrogance driving her to pick out his body bag, can Ash rescue the captives and uncover the truth or will the next blood spilled be her own?

Blood & Ash is a solid start to an urban fantasy series. I have to admit that it took me a chapter or so to get into the story. It starts off with Ash in the middle of something, and for a few pages I thought maybe I misread and this was not the first book in a series, or that there was a previous series that I should have read to fully understand the set up. Thankfully, that was cleared up quickly and I was in the groove and enjoying the world and character building. I liked Ash's character, and her combination of vulnerable, capable, and smart ass appealed to me. I also liked the set up with her moral code, friends, and where she stands on just about everything. Similarly, I liked getting to know Levci and his network- as well as the secondary characters that are likely to play important roles in the series as it continues. I also really enjoyed the use of Jewish lore. I know a little, but not much, of the stories and this inspired me to take a closer look. There is so much there, and I look forward to learning more. Now, as far as the mystery, action, and hint of romance that are balanced through the story. Since it is a new world for me, there was no previous knowledge as to who might be pulling the strings or what kind of magic might be involved. I think the way the mystery and magic were revealed, built up, and resolved to a degree were well done, and very well paced. There was so much groundwork laid for future developments and  tension, however I was not left with the kind of unresolved questions that typically leave me frustrated at the end of the book. Rather, I was left with a satisfying conclusion but enough unanswered questions and possibilities that I am eager to read the next volume. That balance can be hard to hit, and I think Wilde hit it right in the sweet spot.
Blood & Ash is a wonderful start to a new series. Looks like I have one more urban fantasy to add to my must read pile.

No comments: