Book Review: Courting Darkness (Magesmith) by L.R. Braden

Courting Darkness is the second book in the Magesmith series by L.R. Braden. I do recommend reading this series in order to best understand the character and world building.

The paranatural community isn’t done with Alex. She’s been summoned to the fae court, and she's got her hands full trying to prepare. But her date with the fae will have to wait. There’s been a death at the gallery, and the man she hoped would be a part of her future is the prime suspect. Bitter enemies pull her into the middle of a paranatural war for territory that has her dodging police, swords, teeth, and claws—not to mention the truth. The deeper she digs, the more secrets she uncovers, and the less certain she is about the innocence of the one man she wanted to trust. She thought she was done with murder and monsters, but she’ll have to enter the belly of the beast if she hopes to save her friend.

Courting Darkness is a good continuation of the series. It did take me a little while to settle back into Alex's world and remember where we left off, but that is normal in urban fantasy for me. I enjoyed the continued character development for Alex and those closest to her. I thought the newly introduced characters were very well done and helped the story move along and set up plot points for the future rather than feeling like extras tossed in. I thought Alex's struggles to balance wants, needs, safety, and friendship was on point and well handled. The danger was high, but the emotional stakes felt just as high and the physical. I will say that I thought this book would deal more with the fae court than it did, but I enjoyed being surprised a bit with this detour. However, that also made the story feel almost like a side quest.  I am eager to read the story arch that I was more expecting- as this book does add some interesting possibilities for complications in the upcoming books. I will definately be continuing this series because I cannot wait to see what happens next. 

Courting Darkness is a thoughtful continuation to the series. I think fans of the first book and the genre will really enjoy it. 

No comments: