Book Review: How To Speak Cat: A Guide to Decoding Cat Language by Aline Alexander Newman, Gary Weitzman

How To Speak Cat: A Guide to Decoding Cat Language by Aline Alexander Newman and Gary Weitzman is a children's non fiction book that is easily enjoyed by adults as well. Ever wish you could talk to your cat? Well, now you can! Master cat language in this National Geographic Kids guide to pet behaviour. It is an informative guide to the body language of cats with additional facts, games and tips, designed to entertain children as well as encourage responsible pet care. Learn why your kitty likes to climb way up high, what it means when she flops belly-up in front of you, what each tail position says about your cat, and a lot more. This guide features more than 55 different feline poses with detailed explanations of their meaning as well as tests and vet care and advice, wacky fun facts, training tips and more than 100 cat photos.

How To Speak Cat is a good resource for readers that want to have a better understanding of cats. I have had at least one cat in my house for the majority of my life, and think this will continue being the case. I have read a good deal about cats, their behavior, and how to interact with them so not much of the information was new to me. However, I liked the emphasis on safety, and how like people each cat is different and personality has a role to play in the way we interpret their body language. I thought that the text was accessible and sometimes fun, holding the attention of readers. I enjoyed the images of cats, and thought they were well chosen and just nice to look at. 

How To Speak Cat is an informative and interesting read, but I have to admit that I was hoping for more new information. Readers that are looking for this sort of information for the first time will get the most out of the read. 

No comments: