Book Review: Fowl Language: Winging It The Art of Imperfect Parenting by Brian Gordon

Fowl Language: Winging It The Art of Imperfect Parenting by Brian Gordon is here to remind parents that they are not alone. Parenting is hard and often gross. Laughing about it helps. This comic collection offers readers a comprehensive view of the early parenting years in all of their maddening cuteness and sanity-depriving chaos. The book features some favorites as well as dozens of previously unpublished cartoons organized into 12 thematic chapters—including "Babies: Oh Dear God, What Have We Done?"; "Siblings: Best Frenemies Forever"; and "Sleep: Everybody Needs It, Nobody's Gettin' It". Each of these sections begins with an essay by Gordon.
Winging It is exactly what I was expecting, and then some. I have been a fan of Gordon's work for awhile and follow the related social media accounts. This means that I have seen some of the images before- but something about the style, humor, and honesty inherent in the comics never gt old for me. Too often I think parents are trying to act perfect, like they have it all together and know what they are doing. I have always felt like parents, myself included, are all just faking it and trudging ahead trying to do the best we ca for our families. I love seeing someone writing and drawing about feeling the same way. We all love our kids- but no matter how much love there is there will still be moments when selling them on Esty seems like a good idea. I think that being honest about having those moments is just as important for a parent's mental health and survival as facing the moments when they start pulling away and become more independent. There was a great deal that I related to in this collection- the sleep deprivation, picky eating, and sibling arguments most of all.  I think most parents can find something to relate to or laugh at in this book, and will enjoy the ride. 

Winging It is an enjoyable and relatable read for parents and caregivers. The combination of love and frustration that is parenting is captured with honesty and humor. 

No comments: