Book Review: Fake Date (Dating) by Monica Murphy

Fake Date is the second book in the Dating series by Monica Murphy. I did read the first book, however I found that each book can stand up fine on its own. 

Working at Bliss Lingerie, Sarah Harrison deals with all sorts of—interesting clientele. Yet no one sparks her interest more than Jared Gaines, the ultra-rich, ultra-sexy businessman who frequents her shop, buying delicate little “gifts” for the women in his life. But one day, Jared sends her a gift from Bliss. Then another—and another. So when Sarah walks into his office demanding to know why he can't stop sending her gifts, he makes her an offer she somehow can’t refuse: be his fake girlfriend for the weekend while attending his brother’s engagement party. Next thing Sarah knows, she’s in San Francisco, pretending to be in love with Jared. Not that it’s a hardship. Once you get the man away from the office, he’s much more relaxed. Sweet. Funny. Even…thoughtful? Oh, and sexier than ever, of course. Their pretend relationship feels very real, very quickly. Soon Sarah’s in over her head. Could what she and Jared share turn into something real? Or is it all actually…fake?

Fake Date is a good enemy to friends style romance, with plenty of humor along the way. I liked the characters, and that Sarah was able to stand up for herself and no willing to be treated badly. I like that she called Jared out on his behavior, for the most part. I found the back story for both characters to be well done, and I really loved Sarah's support system. I wish I had a circle of friends as tight as hers. I will admit that I was a little irked that the story took the turn of a guy that needs to be fixed by a woman in love. However, Sarah stood up for herself and made it clear that Jared needed to change for himself before things got too heavy and did not stand for bad behavior and just stick around because of love. I found the actions, reactions, and conversations to be in line with the characters- and enjoyed watching them on the journey towards happy ever after. I really like that it was clear that life was not magically perfect because of love, rather communication and effort were part of the process. I would not have minded seeing more of them figuring things out, because I really enjoyed the characters and their interactions.  I am looking forward to what comes next from Murphy.

Fake Date is an engaging read that had me reluctant to step away from the book to do things like sleep, and eager to get back to the story.

No comments: