Book Review: Dark 'N' Deadly (Federal K-9) by Tee O'Fallon

Dark 'N' Deadly is the third book in the Federal K-9 series by Tee O'Fallon. I have not read the previous books, and while some of the characters and situations from previous books do carry over I was able to enjoy this story on its own. However, I think that those that have read the previous books will get more from this read than newcomers like myself. 

ATF Special Agent Eric Miller and his explosives detecting K-9, Tiger, pull over a truck, the contents of which are explosive. Literally. More shocking, the driver is the kid brother of a woman he left behind. One who still haunts his days and his nights. They’d never so much as kissed, but Tess McTavish never forgot the handsome, dangerous agent who vanished in a shroud of mystery. Now the last thing she needs is an ATF agent with his own agenda. Doesn’t matter that Tess and her brother are innocent. If Eric learns the truth of their past, they’ll never be free. Eric’s drive for revenge against the man who targeted him and his colleagues in a deadly explosion still burns hot inside him. Another bomb is about to be detonated and he’s sure there’s a connection between that man…and Tess’s family. But Eric and Tiger will do everything they can to protect the woman he’s falling for from what’s coming.
Dark 'N' Deadly is a strong contemporary romance that had a nice slow burn element, and some serious tension. There were a few times that I delayed getting back to the book because of that tension. I liked the character building. I thought that Eric and Tess were well crafted characters- with complicated and painful pasts. They each dealt with their trauma in consistent and reasonable ways, even when it made the situation harder on themselves later. I liked that the secondary characters, like Jesse and Dayne were well fleshed out, and just as realistic and consistent as the main players. I did have a couple moments when I groaned about the lack of following law enforcement procedure- because those are the kind of things that get the bad guys acquitted in the long run- and I was left think about how much evidence would actually be submittable in court. But, this is fiction and while I think I know some of this stuff, I have not done all the research so I could be wrong. In general, I enjoyed the read and thought the characters were well written. However, I did not fall in love with the series.   So much of this book worked really well- and the danger and tension were high and carried throughout the story, but it somehow missed the sweet spot for me and I could not even point out the moment or aspect of the story that I just did not connect with.
Dark 'N' Deadly is a must read for fans of the series, since you have met these characters in the previous books. It was a solid read, but somehow ran hot and cold for me. 

No comments: