Early Book Review: The Girl Who Rode a Shark: And Other Stories of Daring Women by Ailsa Ross, Amy Blackwell

The Girl Who Rode a Shark: And Other Stories of Daring Women was written by Ailsa Ross and illustrated by Amy Blackwell. Itis currently scheduled for release on October 25 2019.  This non fiction book is a rousing collection of biographies focused on women and girls who have written, explored, or otherwise plunged headfirst into the pages of history. Undaunted by expectations, they made their mark by persevering in pursuit of their passions. The tales come from a huge variety of times and places, from a Canadian astronaut to an Indian secret agent to a Balkan pirate queen who stood up to Ancient Rome. Author and activist Ailsa Ross gives readers a fun, informative piece of nonfiction that emphasizes the boundless potential of a new generation of women.

The Girl Who Rode a Shark tells the stories of some amazing woman. A good many of them I knew, but some (and their exploits) were new to me. I think it is wonderful that people are taking the time and effort to uncover tales of those so often forgotten in history classes. I thought that the short biographies were well written and accessible, and found the illustrations to be colorful and I think they added a nice touch throughout the book. I liked the varieties of woman included, and how they were organized by kind of adventures they had rather than time they lived or location. I also liked that such a nice variety of cultures and eras are included in the book as well. I really enjoyed the read and got a great deal from it, and I think other readers of all ages will as well. 

The Girl Who Rode a Shark is a great collection of short biographies about amazing woman. I think this is a great choice for classrooms and libraries to encourage readers to follow their dreams, and to show them that they can do anything with enough effort- no matter who they are.

No comments: