Early Book Review: Against the Rules (Gamer Girls) by Laura Heffernan

Against the Rules is the second book in the Gamer Girls series by Laura Heffernan and is currently scheduled for release on October 15 2019. I did not read the first book in the series, and while it is about a circle of friends I was able to fully enjoy the book without having read the first.

Holly has taken herself out of the dating game since breaking up with her cheating, thieving ex. She barely notices Marc, who comes into the game store every week, hoping to get her attention. Her friends insist it’s time to take on a new role, to leave Quiet Holly behind and embrace her inner flirt. And on paper, Marc’s great: cute, funny, and a hardcore gamer just like Holly is. Then there’s Nathan. He’s everything twenty-eight-year-old Holly wants, except he’s also her friend’s father. Absolutely off-limits. But as she and Nathan playtest a new legacy game together, they’re growing closer. The game is complex and intriguing, and there’s no way to know how choices will pan out. What seems like a good idea could lead to disaster or sweet victory. But in gaming, as in love, sometimes you have to roll the dice and take your chance.

Against the Rules worked really well on some levels, and fell flat for me in others. I really liked Holly, she has had some serious challenges in life lately and is doing her best to keep moving forward in life. She is a little oblivious sometimes, but in ways many of us are. I liked her intelligence and spirit, and found her insecurities to be realistic and relatable. Nathan seemed like a smart, good guy with issues of his own. I felt like I did not get to know him all that well, since we only saw him through Holly's eyes- I would really have liked to have seen the world through his eyes once and awhile o see his take on Holly. Yes, he was open with her about his feeling once things started happening- but a better look at the attraction and his worries would have brought the whole story together more for me. I liked them together, and understood the worries and hesitancy about becoming involved, and the complications it would create. I did like the glimpses of the horrors on online dating and the real lives of gamers. I found these bits of the story to be well done and realistic, as anyone that has been involved in either can attest. 

Against the Rules is a good contemporary romance that had some fabulous moments, but did not wow me. I am glad I picked it up, but am not sure I will be going back to read the first in the series.

No comments: