Early Book Review: I See Sea Food: Sea Creatures That Look Like Food by Jenna Grodzicki

I See Sea Food: Sea Creatures That Look Like Food by Jenna Grodzicki is a children's non fiction book that is currently scheduled for release on October 1 2019. This book introduces some of the wackiest creatures under the sea—creatures that look like food. Creatures include the egg yolk jellyfish, the lettuce sea slug, the chocolate chip sea star, and many more.
I See Sea Food is a bright and bold book that taught me some interesting facts about creatures I had not heard of before. The photographs are amazing- they are clear and bright. I think the images alone make this book worth picking up. However, the selection of creatures and information shared about each are wonderful as well. I mean, how often do you discover that living creatures named after food use that appearance for defence, or gain their unique coloring by what type of jellyfish they have been snacking on, or breathe through their butt!. I loved the balance of serious information and the fun and wacky. I also appreciate that there is a glossary, quiz, and suggestions for further reading at the end of the book. I love when further engagement and information seeking is encouraged.

I See Sea Food held my attention and taught me something, and I think it will do the same for readers of all ages. A great addition to home, public, or classroom library collections.

No comments: