Book Review: The Scholar (Genoa Chronicles) by JJ Anders

The Scholar is the first book in the Genoa Chronicles series by JJ Anders. Anna is clearly different from others. With obvious physical differences and powerful abilities, she’s never quite fit in… anywhere. Having no knowledge of her parents, she sets out to discover her true origin. On the run for most of her life, she’s become a master at eluding capture, even a little cocky you might say. When a sticky situation forces her hand, she hitches a ride with a wizard, who whisks her away to another world, where, according to him, she’d been exiled from as a child. This new magical place seems oddly familiar as Anna discovers powerful enemies and treasured allies on her quest for answers. The dangerous journey thrust her headlong into the arms of Kriston, who finds himself caught between sworn-duty and insatiable curiosity.

The Scholar is a solid beginning to a great story. I loved getting to know Anna, she is pragmatic, curious, and kind. I like the way the details of Genoa, its history, and its inhabitants are revealed to the reader along side Anna. I liked that while there was a great deal of world building that needed to be done, there was a nice mix of action to break up the information. I liked Kriston and his men, as well as most of the secondary characters.  I did like that readers get a better understanding of several characters because of the chang point of views in the story. However, I found that sometimes it was hard to figure out which character was narrating. I was less thrilled when I would just get a good understanding- or at least interest- in the role a character would play in the grand scheme of things as they were narrating only for them to die. My other issue with the book was that I was left with more questions than answers, and no real resolutions. The ending felt more like the end of a chapter or section of a larger book rather than an ending of its own. I understand that there is so much world and character building that needs to be done for this story to be complete but a couple solid answers rather than hints to bigger questions would have really made me eager to seek out the next book. I want to know how it all plays out, I want to see the big bad pay for their crimes and the world be saved, but the non-ending of this book makes me a little less eager to continue. I liked the story- but was just frustrated with all the loose ends when I reached the end.

The Scholar is a good start to a fantasy series. However, I recommend having the sequels on hand because if you do enjoy the world and character building you are going to want to keep on going.

No comments: