Book Review: Fast (Burns Brothers) by Gillian Archer

Fast by Gillian Archer is the second book in the Burns Brother world. I did not read the first book, but this book can be read as a stand alone.

Family means everything to this tattooed bad boy--good thing since he's about to start his own. I wanted her the first time I laid eyes on her. But what starts as a fun time, quickly gets serious when the stick turns pink a month later. My life is already chaos with my recently paroled father popping up and the usual drama at the family business building custom motorcycles. Plus our reality show just got picked up for a full season. But it really hits the fan when I discover that the new woman in my life is the daughter of the President of the West Coast Kings, the baddest motorcycle club in Sacramento--and our biggest client. Think he'll like being called Grandpa? Life just got hella complicated.

Fast is a contemporary romance that deals with some hard issues, but felt sweet and heartwarming.  Ryan is an alphamallow- all hard edges and tattoos on the outside but a softy at his core. On the surface Hope is sweetness and confidence, but she has a core of steel.  The compassion and care for others is something they shared, and something I loved to see expressed by each of them so differently. They each have huge father and family issues, but I loved the way they found comfort together and worked things out. The surprise baby was done very well- I liked how honest and realistic the complications of that were handled. The switching perspectives helped keep track of the worries and fears they each had, and the circumstances that made things more complicated. The heat is on high, but so is the danger and the sweet. I liked how well balanced the different elements were, and there were a few times that characters surprised me and took an unexpected path. I was never bored, and am looking forward to going back to read the first book and continuing to follow this series.

Fast has a nearly perfect balance of danger, sweet, and heat. It is a must read for fans of the author.

No comments: