Book Review: The Best Friend Problem (Mile High Happiness) by Mariah Ankenman

The Best Friend Problem by Mariah Ankenman is the first book in the Mile High Happiness series. Prudence Carlson has been lucky in life. A fulfilling wedding-planning business run with her girlfriends in Colorado, plus the best guy friend ever in her firefighter bestie Finn. All that’s missing from it is a baby. Luckily, it’s the twenty-first century—Pru can take matters into her own hands. She doesn’t need to find true love to create the future love of her life. Except all this talk of babies and insemination and...Pru and Finn cross a line they never expected to. Sure, one night of passion won’t change their close friendship. Until Pru goes in for a fertility check-up to find… she’s already pregnant. As best friends, Pru and Finn have survived college, new jobs, and bad breakups, but can they survive crib shopping, birth classes, and late-night cravings? Especially when Finn has never considered himself even remotely Daddy material?

The Best Friend Problem takes the friends to lover trope and doubles down by adding a unique wanted but accidental pregnancy twist. It was an ambitious story to tackle, and I'll say that Ankenman did it beautifully.  I really enjoyed getting to know Pru and Finn- and seeing their journey through both perspectives. I could relate to Pru, at least with her reluctance to accept help, and understood her motivations and fears throughout the book. I liked Finn's openness and caring for others, and I knew they would figure it out once they admitted their own emotions. I also loved the secondary characters, not just Mo and Lilly, but Finn's coworkers and family to. I think the characters work was really the star of this story, the banter was fun and the characters supportive and real. I felt like this group of people are really liking in a Colorado town just waiting for me to visit and meet them. 

The Best Friend Problem is an engaging read that had me rooting for and wanting to shake the main characters at the same time. I look forward to reading more from Ankeman in the future.

No comments: