Book Review: The Tracker (The Dregs) by Leslie Georgeson

The Tracker is the first book in the eight book (not all yet available)  Dregs series by Leslie Georgeson.  I’ve done despicable things. My soul is damaged. My body impaired. That’s what happens when you are a soldier for The Company. I was discharged a year ago. Now I am a dreg. Worthless. With a bounty on my head. I’ve become a creature of the night, hiding in an underground maze during the day. Because I’m not ready to die yet. She comes to me one night, needing my help to find her sister. The moment I see her, I want her. Her goodness calls to me, makes me yearn for the impossible. She brings life back to the deadness inside me. I’m no good for her. I will do nothing but corrupt her. But I’m a callous bastard. I can’t resist her. I try not to care for her, but somehow she slips under my skin. She makes me weak. And there is only one thing in this world I am afraid of. Weakness. I’ll never be good enough for her, so I have to finish this job and send her on her way. Before she destroys me.
The Tracker is a story that manages to get a lot of world building, character development, and other series groundwork laid down without having it completely overtake the action and romance of the story. I like that Jessica is a fully developed character with a mind and drives of her own. She is willing to do anything to save her sister, and is fiercely loyal to the dregs once they have gotten to know each other. Tracker and his teammates have serious issues to overcome, and I like that they own those issues and do not pretend to be perfect. I found Tracker to be well written and consistent with his past and position- and really enjoyed reading about the connections between the dregs.I was left wanting to see how it turns out for all of them, and want them all to find a happy ending. I will admit that there were a couple things that dragged a bit for me, but I think they were all necessary to set up for the conclusion of this book and the set ups for the future volumes.

The Tracker is a good start to a series with suspense, romance, and plenty of twists and turns. I have already downloaded the second book and added it to my 'to read' list.

No comments: