Book Review: Catnapped (Sugar Shack) by Susan Golden

Catnapped is the first book in the Sugar Shack series by Susan Golden. Jennifer's discovery that a cat in her care has been snatched and is being held for a curious, but outwardly benign, ransom, sets the pair on a path of overcoming seemingly impossible obstacles and absurd situations to meet the odd demand. But everything may not be as it seems and the stakes may be much higher than freedom for one kitty. 

Catnapped is quirky in a way that reminded me of Lindsay Sands and Kate MacAlister's early books. The writing was very conversational, and the characters often went off on their own tangent, which made the read very fun but occasionally the non sequiturs got hard to follow. I liked Jennifer's character, how honest she is about herself and her quirks- and her self-doubt was realistic but felt a little overdone in certain moments. I like that while the mystery and romance bits were separate but found a way to be woven together. I really enjoyedt he conversations and odd characters that seem to invite themselves into Jen's life. I did find some of the time line jumping off putting- and there were important things that felt a little glossed over because of that. However, I am glad I picked this one up and enjoyed the read. I will be taking a look at future books from the author to see if the writing style grows into the potential I see in it. 

Catnapped is a fun and delightfully wacky book. It entertained me and I enjoyed the read.

No comments: