Book Review: Definitely, Maybe, Yours by Lissa Reed

Definitely, Maybe, Yours by Lissa Reed is the first book in the Sucre Coeur series. Seattle-based baker Craig Oliver leads a life that is happily routine: baking cupcakes for an enormous family reunion, managing Sucre Coeur for its frequently absent owner and closing out his day with a pint at the local pub. He has a kind heart, a knack for pastry and a weakness for damaged people. Habitual playboy Alex Scheff is looking to drown his sorrows, but instead discovers that he may have a weakness for Englishmen who carry cookies in their pockets. Can a seemingly incompatible pair find the recipe for love in a relationship they claim is casual?

Definitely, Maybe, Yours is a book that had me fully engaged from the very first page. I simply loved Craig- and connected with his desire for routine and helping others. He had a great work ethic and just cared about other people, sometimes to his own detriment. Alex is heartbroken and self loathing personified. He has made mistakes and blames himself for all of them, and those that he did not make. Seeing this pair come together, fully in denial about it for most of the time, and find their way was a roller coaster. While reading there were times I found myself grinning, frowning, or ready to throttle one of the characters. I loved how realistic the characters feel, not to mention their mistakes, fears, and relationships. I wish we could all have a circle of friends as invested and caring as the group in this book. I enjoyed getting to know the characters, watching them grow and interact, and seeing them open up to each other. As always, the book that gets to me the most has well written and realistic characters that I feel like I might run into in real life. 

Definitely, Maybe, Yours is both a heart breaking and warming read. I loved it, and the cast of secondary characters. I am off to find the rest of the series since this book was published a few years ago and the digital box set was recently released (February 12).

No comments: