Book Review: The Cowboy Next Door (Montana Strong) by R. C. Ryan

The Cowboy Next Door is the second book in the Montana Strong series by R. C. Ryan. I did not read the first book, and I think each can stand up well on its own. However, returning readers are likely to have a better understanding of some of the secondary characters and enjoy seeing Ben and Becca's story continue. 

After weeks on the trail, Sam Monroe is looking forward to a hot bath, a home-cooked meal, and a real bed. In that order. But he's greeted by something even better when he opens the door to his family's ranch house. Seems the new housekeeper is a gorgeous young woman who cooks like an angel and wrangles his family like a pro. If only she didn't dislike him so much. Penny Cash is down on her luck, and the last thing she needs is a flirtation with a wild, carefree cowboy. Sure, he's funny and sexy, but they're as different as whiskey and tea. And she'll be leaving town as soon as she finds a full-time teaching position. But when trouble comes calling, Penny will find out how serious Sam can be when it comes to protecting the woman he loves.
The Cowboy Next Door is a solid story. While a contemporary romance, because of the location there was a slight historical flavor. I liked Penny's determination and strength, and how hard she worked to do right for everyone around her. I liked the idea of Sam's character, but I felt at times that he was not fully fleshed out. Readers learn about his past, and how he tries to live his life, but I was still left feeling like his character could have been more three dimensional. Penny and Sam are clearly attracted from the moment their eyes met, and I connected with Penny right away, even when I did not agree with her choices. On the other hand I felt like Sam was fascinated with Penny because he should not be, and because she was a challenge. While he did things to prove otherwise, it still felt off to me in some way. While he went to great lengths to protect her, and do the right thing for his family and her, it felt almost calculated at times. Too often he made decisions for her good or that affected her without discussion, which would have driven me crazy in her place.  Perhaps it is just my own personal issues that colored this part of his character, but it still irked me. As did the fact that once at no point in their private moments did anyone mention or use birth control- or I missed it somehow. Two responsible adults that had less than stellar childhoods should have at least spoken about this.

The Cowboy Next Door is a good romance with cowboy and small town flavors. There was also a religious undertone, but it only really made itself known a few times. 

No comments: