Early Book Review: In Her Sights (Rocky Mountain Bounty Hunters) by Katie Ruggle

In Her Sights is the first book in the Rocky Mountain Bounty Hunter series by Katie Ruggle. Bounty hunter Molly Pax fought hard for everything she has, turning the bail recovery business she shares with her sisters into an unqualified success. So when their sticky-fingered mother jumps bail and puts the childhood home up as collateral, Molly's horrified. To make matters worse, every two-bit criminal in the Rockies now sees her family's misfortune as their next big break. She needs help, stat. Enter rival bounty hunter John Carmondy: six feet of pure trouble, with a cocky grin to match. John's the most cheerfully, annoyingly gorgeous frenemy Molly's ever had the pleasure of defeating...and he may be her only hope of making it out of this mess alive.

In Her Sights is has all the elements one expects from a Katie Ruggle book. Women working hard and doing what they need to survive despite some tough odds, and a strong guy that is working just as hard while trying to deal with attraction. Molly was well fleshed out, although I expect that there is more to her story than I fully know or understand even after finishing the read. Carmondy is a much bigger mystery. I feel like I still have no idea who he is, even after he and Molly figure things out. I am used to knowing much more about Ruggle's heros, and I am sad that I have no idea what was going on in his head through the entire book. Watching two great, flawed human being find their way together despite issues, danger, and explosions is what I love about the other books I have read by Ruggle- and I did not get nearly enough of that here. The set up is good, the action is good, and the character building for the secondary characters is good. Those all held up to my expectations, but since I knew so little about Carmondy I honestly expected him to be on the wrong side of things for the first few chapters and kept waiting to see the big reveal. However, I am not giving up on the author, I trust that this might be a fluke and her next book will have me just as engaged with the characters as everything else I have read from her. 

In Her Sights is not all I had hoped for. I am a huge fan of Ruggle, and usually find myself fascinated by the characters and what will happen next. With this one I never really connected with the characters, and while the action and story were good, it just felt like something was different from what I usually get.

No comments: