Book Review: Samhain Secrets (Wiccan Wheel) by Jennifer David Hesse

Samhain Secrets is the fourth book in the Wiccan Wheel Mysteries by Jennifer David Hesse. I have not read the previous books in this series, and think that returning readers will get more out of it than newcomers. However, I think I was able to catch up pretty quickly and could fully enjoy the read.

After her recent promotion to junior partner, Keli is putting in overtime to juggle her professional career and private Wiccan spiritual practice. With Halloween fast approaching, her duties include appearing as a witch at a “haunted” barn and hand-holding a client who’s convinced her new house is really haunted. But it’s the disappearance of Josephine O’Malley that has Keli spooked. The missing person is Keli’s aunt, an environmental activist and free spirit who always seemed to embody peace, love, and independence. When Josephine is found dead in the woods, Keli wonders if her aunt’s activities were as friendly as they seemed. As Keli comes to terms with her loss—while adjusting to having a live-in boyfriend and new demands at work—she must wield her one-of-a-kind magic to banish negative energy if she’s going to catch a killer this Samhain season. Because Keli isn’t ready to give up.

Samhain Secrets is a fun read. I like that Keli is still fairly new to the practices of Wicca and is finding her ways and path. I think this allows readers that might be unfamiliar with the traditions and beliefs in the religion to learn more right alongside her. I was a little annoyed with some of the unsettled nature of her relationship, there were way too many hints at who else is interested in her to make me feel like she is happy and committed. As a related note her inability to think about letting people know where she is or what she is up to bothers me. Maybe its the mom in me, or the over planner, but when I share a house or have other commitments with people I would let them know I was going off in a canoe, hiking in the woods, or calming ghost related fears. However, aside from her self centeredness I rather liked the characters (including Keli for the most part) and how they interacted.  The mystery and red herrings were very well laid out, and I liked the way things kept circling around in new ways. I liked a lot about this read, and think I would have enjoyed it more with the prior knowledge from the previous books. 

Samhain Secrets is a good cozy mystery with a good set of twists, interesting characters, and a satisfying ending that still leaves plenty of room for more to come.

No comments: