Book Review: Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley Davidson) by Darynda Jones

Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet is the fourth book in the Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones. I highly recommend reading the series in order, it is just much more fun that way. Trust me.
Sometimes being the grim reaper really is, well, grim. And since Charley’s last case went so awry, she has taken a couple of months off to wallow in the wonders of self-pity. But when a woman shows up on her doorstep convinced someone is trying to kill her, Charley has to force herself to rise above...or at least get dressed. It becomes clear something is amiss when everyone the woman knows swears she’s insane. But the more they refute the woman’s story, the more Charley believes it. In the meantime, the sexy, sultry son of Satan, Reyes Farrow, is out of prison and out of Charley’s life, as per her wishes and several perfectly timed death threats. But his absence has put a serious crimp in her sex life. While there are other things to consider, like the fact that the city of Albuquerque has been taken hostage by an arsonist, Charley is having a difficult time staying away. Especially when it looks like Reyes may be involved.
Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet is exactly what I was hoping for as a follow up to book four, but still full of surprises. I like that while the heat and attraction between Reyes and CHarley is off the charts, they have not fallen into the trap of insta love and assumed partnership. Just like real relationship, they have to figure things out and deal with other issues. I found CHarley's investigation and dealing with her personal crises to be very well done, and how even when she is scattered and terrified Charley is still fighting to find the perfect come back or quip. I liked the amount of surprises and sub stories that tangled together. Some authors try to have this many storylines in a single book and it gets tangled and confusing, but Jones pulls it off beautifully. Anyone that has read this far in this series is likely to keep going, like myself, to see what befalls Charley next. 



Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet is another highly entertaining book with enough heat and feels to keep me up well past my bedtime. Now on to book five!

No comments: