Shrubs: Discover the Perfect Plant for Every Place in Your Garden by Andy McIndoe

Shrubs: Discover the Perfect Plant for Every Place in Your Garden by Andy McIndoe is currently scheduled for release on February 5 2019. This book gives home gardeners the information and advice to help them pick the right shrub for their yard. Shrubs can be the perfect plant; typically low-maintenance, with a variety for nearly every need, and widely available at garden centers and nurseries. This handy guide might make it easier than ever for gardeners to decide which shrubs to add to their space. The book includes shrubs challenging growing conditions, shrubs for restricted planting spaces, and shrubs chosen for their desirable characteristics, including hardiness in shade, difficult soil, and harsh conditions. Plant profiles include complete growing information, color photographs, and recommended companion plants.


Shrubs is a book I should have read years ago. I have areas of my property where I have had a terrible time keeping things thriving or even alive. Thanks to this resource I have a plan to revitalize the border near the street, and the shady area near my magnolia tree. The book is divided by the deciding factors of the area readers are looking to plant in. Each area type, such as shady and damp or drought prone, has description of each recommended shrub and some companion plants that readers might want to consider. The photographs and descriptions were very helpful, as were the details about potential size and hints to give your shrubs the best chance to thrive. I am still undecided as to what I want to plant in my trouble spots, but I have plenty of viable options now.

Shrubs is a well organized and valuable resource for gardeners and homeowners looking to use shrubs in their landscaping. I would recommend libraries and those that work in landscaping or garden related jobs pick it up, but the rest of us should borrow it from our local library as needed.

No comments: