Book Review: Who Are You Calling Weird: A Celebration of Weird & Wonderful Animals by Marilyn Singer

Who Are You Calling Weird: A Celebration of Weird & Wonderful Animals by Marilyn Singer is a wonderful children's book that celebrates the weird but wonderful creatures that are hidden away in Earth’s forests, caves, and oceans. These animals might look or behave in peculiar ways but, every oddity serves a purpose. From the green fur of a three-toed sloth, to the pink and wiggly appendage of the star-nosed mole, there’s something new to marvel at on every page. As well as finding out about each animal’s behavior, diet, and habitat, readers will also discover the folk beliefs about the creature. 

Who Are You Calling Weird is a delightful book, both visually and intellectually. My favorite bits of history and science have always centered on the weird and wonderful, and this book covered most of my favorite delightfully add creatures, and some that I had somehow missed. I think the combination of narrative fact sharing and lovely images come together in a way that will capture the interest and imagination of most readers, as it certainly captured mine. I love that fairly well know odd animals were covered, such as the aye-aye and three toed sloth. However, my favorite (the pangolin) and some less know creatures were given their due as well. I was extremely glad to see some sea creatures I had never known about before explored, and information that was new to me on some creatures that I thought I knew well.

Who Are You Calling Weird is an engaging book that can capture the reader's imagination. It inspired me to look a bit closer at some animals I thought I knew, and hopefully it will inspire young readers to explore the natural world a bit closer, and with a bit of wonder and urge to research more.

No comments: