Book Review: Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson) by Darynda Jones

Second Grave on the Left is the second book in the Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones. I have read the first and ninth book in this series, and have finally gotten around to downloading the entire series and filling in the gaps, and then continue on. I do recommend reading the series in order (although I clearly did not follow my own advice since I read the ninth book first).

Take it from Charley Davidson, part-time P.I. and full-time Grim Reaper. The deceased find her very sparkly. Demons find her irresistible. And one entity in particular wants to seduce her in every way possible. When Charley and Cookie, her best friend slash receptionist, have to track down a missing woman, the case is not quite as open and shut as they anticipate. Meanwhile, Reyes Alexander Farrow (otherwise known as the Son of Satan. Yes. Literally.) has left his corporeal body because he's being tortured by demons who want to lure Charley closer. But Reyes can't let that happen. Because if the demons get to Charley, they'll have a portal to heaven. And if they have a portal to heaven, well, let's just say it wouldn't be pretty. Can Charley handle hot nights with Reyes and even hotter days tracking down a missing woman? Can she keep those she loves out of harm's way? And is there enough coffee and chocolate in the world to fuel her as she does?
Second Grave on the Left is a wild ride with plenty of humor, danger, and twists that had me wondering what would happen next. I really like Charley's character. She underestimates herself, but uses humor and bravo to talk her way through just about everything. I thought the hunt for Reyes and her active case were very well balanced, and I liked the exchanges she has with friends and enemies alike. One never knew if the danger or immediate threat was related to the case, Reyes, or something else entirely. Charley has the kind of wit I always wanted, and the lack of concern for the opinion of others that can be a blessing and a curse. I thought this return to Charley's world was engaging and had me turning pages well past time I should have been doing something else, several times in fact. I love that while there is a satisfying conclusion, there is enough about Charley and her circle that has me eager for the next installment. 
Second Grave on the Left is just as well written and engaging as the first, and I fully plan on binge reading this series in its entirety- although I will schedule the reviews so that they are not all in a row.

No comments: