Book Review: The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo (Victorian Rebels) by Kerrigan Byrne

The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo is the sixth book in the Victorian Rebels series by Kerrigan Byrne.  I have read three of the previous books, and recognized some of the secondary characters because of it, but think those fresh to the series will be able to fully enjoy this installment without having read the previous books. 
He is known only as The Rook. A man with no name, no past, no memories. He awakens in a mass grave, a magnificent dragon tattoo on his muscled forearm the sole clue to his mysterious origins. His only hope for survival—and salvation—lies in the deep, fiery eyes of the beautiful stranger who finds him. Who nurses him back to health. And who calms the restless demons in his soul. Lorelai will never forget the night she rescued the broken dark angel in the woods, a devilishly handsome man who haunts her dreams to this day. Crippled as a child, she devoted herself to healing the poor tortured man. And when he left, he took a piece of her heart with him. Now, after all these years, The Rook has returned. Like a phantom, he sweeps back into her life and avenges those who wronged her. But can she trust a man who’s been branded a rebel, a thief, and a killer? And can she trust herself to resist him when he takes her in his arms?
The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo is a historical romance about redemption and second chances. I liked Lorelai, and how she is both optimistic and smart about her own survival. She faces the ugly things in her world and finds a way to do as much good as she can and survive at the same time. The Rook, Ash, or whatever you want to call our leading man has been through hell. He was imprisoned, beaten and left for dead, and more. He should be a sympathetic character, and sometimes I really do fear for him and empathize with the positions he finds himself in. However, more often than not he rubs me the wrong way and I just find him creepy. As awesome as Lorelai is, and how much love and caring she has, it is not her job to fix him (or anyone). Nothing about his obsession with her, and his envisioning her as so perfect and pure, seems romantic to me. It feels like it will lead to a different kind of captivity and abuse rather than the partnership real love and relationships should have. Others might not have such a strong reaction to this, but it hit me hard and left me almost rooting for those that wanted to keep the pair apart, although for different reasons. I think the action, danger, and secondary characters were all very well done, and while I guessed at the treasure very early in the book, I thought the reveal was satisfying. 


The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo is a book that left me conflicted. I enjoyed some of it, but found our 'hero' to be more than a little problematic and a bit creepy to be honest. I remember liking the previous books more, so I will be willing to give the author another go. 

No comments: