Book Review: Don't Look Back (Unbroken Heroes) by Dawn Ryder

Don't Look Back is the sixth book in the Unbroken Heroes series by Dawn Ryder. I have read some, but not all, of the books in this series. Each book can stand up reasonably well on its own, but there are so many characters and interconnected plot-lines that I think returning fans will get the most out of this read since it ties up the loose ends from the entire series.

Shadow Ops Agent Thais Sinclair has sworn off falling in love for good. It’s what’s kept her calculated, steady, and on-task in a world dominated by men. She needs nothing and no one but her own wits and strength to guide her. But when she’s slated to shadow the one man who could reveal their entire operation, all bets are off. Dunn Bateson, illegitimate son of a Southern debutante, has always had to fight harder than the rest to get what he wants. Now, the last thing he needs is Thais following his every move. She is so strong, sly, seductive. . . No woman has ever captivated him so completely. Thais may only have room for her mission in her heart, but is Dunn up to the challenge of showing her that she’s worth every risk he is willing to take?
Don't Look Back is an entertaining read, but there is a lot going on here.  I do recommend reading this particular book as a stand alone- simply because there is a good portion of the story that is spent dealing with the consequences and reactions to everything that has happened earlier in the series. I really did enjoy the romance part of the story. I liked seeing Dunn and Thais face off and find their way through the walls they each had built, and share a little about their pasts. Dunn was a little too suave, and shared much less about himself than he knew about Thais, which bothered me a little. I think the danger and politics are very well done, scary, and frankly worrisome in this political climate. Made me more than a little worried about how much of this kind of stuff is really happening, because I really would not put it past some of the people currently in power. I was engaged in the story, and liked seeing some familiar characters return to the front lines. My biggest issue was with the number of voices used to tell the story. There seemed to be little to no indication as to when the narrator was changing, at least in the Kindle version, which sometimes became confusing. I had to go back and reread a few times just to figure out where those jumps happened to I could adjust with them.

Don't Look Back is a good conclusion to the story, and I was glad to see the loose ends all tied up, but with enough secondary characters still single that there could very well be a connecting series in the near future.

No comments: