Book Review: More Than a Princess by E.D. Baker

More Than a Princess is the first book in a new series by E.D. Baker. Aislin of Eliasind is more than just a princess, she's half-fairy and half-pedrasi, with magical gifts from each side of her heritage! One day, as Aislin is venturing through the woods, she is alarmed to hear a band of humans coming through. How did they get past the guarded magical passageway that leads to her hidden kingdom? Mistaken for a human herself, Aislin is captured, and soon realizes she's in even bigger trouble. She is being used as a pawn to help the king of this nearby kingdom, Morrain, find a secret passageway to the warring land of Scarmander so that he can capture his enemies by surprise. Aislin must find a way to break free, while also minding the beautiful human princess and ladies-in-waiting she now shares a castle with, who are all too ready to point out her differences. Thankfully, Aislin's inner strength goes beyond her magical qualities. And with a few loyal friends by her side, she's ready to stand up for herself and her kingdom once and for all.
More Than a Princess is a good start to a new series, with a few secondary characters that I think I might have seen mentioned in previous series by Baker- but not many familiar locations or characters so new comers will not feel left out or lost. Aislin is a smart and independent princess that feels less than or other than the majority of her family because her skills are different than theirs. I like that she is willing to take risks to protect others, but at the same time does not blindly make dangerous choices without forethought. This book introduces a new cast of secondary characters that will be important in Aislin's journey as it continues through the series, and I think the most important are very well fleshed out and made complex and interesting in their own right. I am a little over the hints for a future romantic relationship. I think it is more important for the middle grade set to see valuable friendships work regardless of gender, and not go right for the love match every time a boy and girl work together for a common goal. It is well done here, subtle with a will they/ wont they kind of feel- but I just want them to be a team without that feeling like a couple. It might not go that route- but I get the feeling that it will here. I enjoyed the journey and I think there were some great twists in the story and some significant danger and secrets conquered. There is nothing in the book that I could point to that made me unhappy, Baker did exactly what I have come to expect with their middle grade fantasy, however I still felt rather meh about the whole thing. Maybe it is just because I read it shortly after finishing the latest entry in the Frog Princess series, but I did not love it as much as I had hoped.

More Than a Princess is a book that fans of Baker will want to pick up, as it follows the themes and feel of what I have seen from them thus far. It did not feel as fresh and new to me as some of the earlier books, but I think this was more because of how soon I read it after another of their books rather than because of anything lacking or wrong with the book itself. 

No comments: