Book Review: Memoirs of a Dragon Hunter (Dragon Hunter) by Katie MacAlister

Memoirs of a Dragon Hunter is the first book in the new Dragon Hunter series by Katie MacAlister. While it seems to be set in the same word as her previous paranormal books, if you have not read them you will be fine starting this series without working backwards. 


Veronica was a normal (if somewhat germaphobic) math teacher getting ready for summer vacation. Then her sister died in a pile of black ash, leaving her with a sword and a destiny as dragon hunter. It turns out there's a whole other world out there filled with demons, dragons, and spirits. Now Ronnie's job is to protect mortals - and I haven't got a clue what I'm doing. Then there's tattooed hotness Ian Iskander. Part dragon hunter and part demon, Ian's got some seriously creepy business associates and keeps trying to steal my sword. So why do they keep getting lost in hungry, crazy-hot kisses? Ian is the only person who can help Ronnie figure out who - and what - she am. But trusting a half-demon is dangerous, because when you play with dragon fire, someone always gets burned.

Memoirs of a Dragon Hunter is full of odd characters, magic, and mayhem. Veronica, Ronnie, has OCD and is determined to spend her summer off writing a book. She speaks her mind, is very smart, and is just a fun character to read about. Ian is tormented and torn, with secrets and struggles of his own, but with a soft heart he tries to hide. Together I liked their conversations, mostly because of Ronnie's constant chattering and complete honesty about everything she thinks and feels. Ian is much less forthcoming, but sweet in his way. I never really connected with the characters or felt invested in their success, no matter how entertaining I found some of the moments in the story. The secondary characters were fun additions to the story, and the fight scenes were highly entertaining. Sasha was my second favorite character in the book, but I feel like I barely got to know her, although to two esprits were pretty awesome too. The Monty Python reference was awesome, but might have gone on too long so that it lost its shine. I also worry that some readers will not even get the reference- I am amazed daily by people that do not get references to things I consider classic- like Monty Python, Douglas Adams, Abbott and Costello and so on.

Memoirs of a Dragon Hunter was a mixed bag for me. It had the quirky characters and funny exchanges that are the hallmark of MacAlister's writing (and what made her an automatic read for me for years) but I ever quite connected with the characters and story like I used to. I am not sure if my tastes have changed, or if some of MacAlister's magic was missing from this book.

No comments: