Book Review: Luck of the Bride (Cavensham Heiresses) by Janna MacGregor

Luck of the Bride is the third book in the Cavensham Heiresses series by Janna MacGregor. I have not read the previous books in the series, but was able to fully enjoy the read. While I think that those that have been following the series will have a better understanding of some of the characters and relationships, this book does stand up perfectly well on its own.

March Lawson is an orphan who, for the past eight years, has struggled to raise her siblings on a meager allowance. Most women March’s age would be picking out ball gowns for the upcoming season. But March’s focus is not on finding a husband. First, she must devote her energies to just one man: the coldhearted skinflint who refuses to release her inheritance. Michael Cavensham, the Marquess of McCalpin, is not a heartless man. When he learns that Miss Lawson has been forging his name to procure funds, he can’t bring himself to have her arrested—not when the bold-faced embezzler is so enchantingly beautiful. Instead, McCalpin agrees to visit her home to assess the situation more closely. March has no choice but to accept. But how can she manage the handsome trustee who controls her purse strings—when he tugs at her heart strings as well?

Luck of the Bride is a historical romance that takes one hardworking and intelligent woman, determined to protect her siblings and one stubborn but basically good hearted man and tosses them together. For the most part, I really liked March, her hard work and loyalty to her family was well done and admirable- and even when she did less than ethical things it was for good reason. Her self doubt is realistic and understandable- and I could completely understand where she was coming from in that respect- but some of her wishy washy moments with Michael left me less than impressed. Micheal is haunted by his difficulties with numbers, and has a hard time trusting. His brother and champion William is even less trusting, and I think the pair feed off each other and while realistic that just made me want to kick the pair. I did like how Michael really did love and want to protect March, and how determined he was to have her understand how beautiful she was. However, I have to admit that while his lack of trust was kind of understandable, it really bothered me how quickly he believed the worst of March- and how quickly she forgave him when it was time for the HEA. It just left me a little disheartened and cold rather than happy for them. 

Luck of the Bride was hit and miss for me. I liked the premise and most of the characters, but little things disappointed me throughout and left me less engaged than I wanted to be. It was an entertaining read, but I think it fell short of what it could have been.

No comments: