Book Review: Sharky Malarkey: A Sketchbook Collection by Megan Nicole Dong

Sharky Malarkey: A Sketchbook Collection by Megan Nicole Dong follows the adventures of Bruce, a washed-up shark actor, and a colorful assortment of dysfunctional people, animals, and inanimate objects. Bruce is vain but insecure; hotheaded but cowardly; craves attention but fears intimacy—his over-the-top antics are all too human. Based on Megan Nicole Dong’s popular webcomic, Sketchshark, her debut print collection mines the absurd in everyday life. 

Sharky Malarkey: A Sketchbook Collection is not what I was expecting, but I have never seen the webcomic from the artist so I was coming in fresh. The description says the book is about Bruce, a Hollywood shark, with some moments about the artist. However, the book is the opposite- mostly about the artist and everyday life with just a sprinkle of Bruce.  There were plenty of relatable moments, but I was distracted by the art style which felt a little sloppy and undetailed. I think those that already are fans, and know they enjoy the artists work will want to take a look at the collection. Unfortunately it just did nothing for me.

No comments: