Book Review: More Than a Phoenix (Phoenix Brothers) Ashlyn Chase

More Than a Phoenix is the second book in the Phoenix Brothers series by Ashlyn Chase, although it is related to a few of her other series. I think anyone that has read any of the books by Chase set in Boston will be perfectly able to catch on to the details quickly. However, readers that have not read any of Chase's books might be confused by the details surrounding the different types of paranormals and who is who.
Mallory Summers is losing it. She's discovered she can talk to dead people--and she might be able to shift to monkey form. Firefighter Dante Fierro knows the quirky beauty isn't crazy--just supernatural. But what would she think if she knew his secret? Hothead Noah Fierro has his own sparks flying with gorgeous ER doctor Kizzy Samuels. While the attraction is mutual, so are the supernatural secrets. With this much sizzle going on, how do you not get burned?

More Than a Phoenix covers the romances of two Fierro brothers. Dante and Noah are brothers, roommates, and best friends. However, as they find women that are command their attention they start to grate on each other's nerves and start drifting apart. Maybe it is because Mallory's life is falling apart and she just might be crazy- or cursed, and Kizzy is giving Noah the run around. There are so many secrets that as a reader I knew the stories would come together into a solid conclusion. I liked the characters, the main players and their families. However, since there were so many important characters plus the romance, danger, and drama I felt like I did not get to know the characters as well as I would have liked. I think everything was well written, but Chase tried to cover too much ground and the connection I love to forge to the characters was rather lost on the way. I still enjoyed the read, and think that other readers will as well, I just did not love it. 

More Than a Phoenix is an entertaining read, and covers two romances and a good amount of action. I was not as engaged in the characters as I had hoped, but I still enjoyed the read and think that fans of the author will certainly want to read it.

No comments: