Early Book Review: The Divided Earth (The Nameless City) by Faith Eric Hicks

The Divided Earth is the third (and final) book in The Nameless City series by Faith Eric Hicks. It is currently schedule for release on September 25 2018. The book begins where the second book in the trilogy, The Stone Heart, left off. Readers do need to read this series in order to understand and enjoy the story fully.

Kai and Rat might need to sacrifice everything for peace. The city is under new rule, and if they cannot stop the tragic events that are in motion the cycle of war, death, and violence will continue. The added challenge of treachery inside the palace and an army quickly approaching the outer walls raise the stakes and the likely-hood of everything ending badly. 

The Divided Earth is a solid graphic novel, and a good conclusion to a trilogy. As always, her art work is stunning and adds a great deal to the story and character development. I simply love the style and coloring. In the story itself, I liked the efforts that Kai, his parents, Rat, and many of the characters went through to do what they thought best for the greater good, and the city specifically. Like in real life, people's ideas of what is best, what is right, and what should happen is always varied and sometimes quite different. I like the development and tension built around what would happen with the city, and our major players, come the final conflict. It was very well done, but I felt like I could have gotten to know a few of the secondary characters a little more (like Kai's mother) but got more that I expected with the return of some younger characters from the earlier books. I enjoyed the adventure and he danger, I think the political and military posturing was very well build and explored.  I was fully engaged with the read, and kind of want an epilogue to see what might happen well after this story ended, what does the future hold in the long term for Kai and Rat, does peace last, and where do Kai's parents end up. The conclusion tied up all the necessary loose ends, but I was invested enough to still be curious. 

The Divided Earth is  a solid conclusion to the trilogy. although I will admit to wanting to see what might happen in the Nameless City in the years to come. I was satisfied, but still want more.

No comments: