Book Review: Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku (Otaku Can't Fall in Love) by Fujita

Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku is the first volume in the Otaku Can't Fall in Love manga by Fujita. This series was originally published in 2015, but the English translation was released in April of 2018. 
Narumi and Hirotaka are, by all appearances, a power couple. They're young, good-looking professionals. But they have secrets from everyone but each other: They're serious geeks! Narumi is a fujoshi, and Hirotaka's a hardcore gamer. Their sweet, awkward love story started life as a webcomic before becoming a full-blown manga series by popular demand, and is about to become a major anime series!
Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku is a fun manga series that shows day in the life drama of gamers and geeks that are also friends. They might all have real jobs, and look professional, but they also love anime, games, or cosplay. I liked the story arch about them all trying to find their place in their friend group, and in relationships. It is complicated and sometimes cringe-worthy, just like real life. I liked the story and the characters, but to be honest I wanted more of the secondary couple, I found them to be a little more interesting, but as a whole the story was light and fun. I like that the book offered vocabulary and information for terms that casual readers might not already know or need some clarification on. I think I might follow up with the next book, or maybe I will wait for the anime. 

No comments: