Book Review: Tempting The Laird (Highland Grooms) by Julia London

Tempting The Laird is the fifth book in the Highland Grooms series by Julia London. I felt like I might have read other books in the series, and I know I have read more from this author, but I cannot find any related reviews in my archives.

Catriona Mackenzie’s reputation as unruly precedes her everywhere she goes. Her beloved late aunt Zelda taught Cat to live out loud and speak her mind, and that’s exactly what she does when Zelda’s legacy, a refuge for women in need, comes under fire. When her quest puts her in the path of the disturbingly mysterious Hamlin Graham, Duke of Montrose, Cat is soon caught up in the provocative rumors surrounding the dark duke. Shrouded in secrets, a hostage of lies, Hamlin must endure the fear and suspicion of those who believe he is a murderer. The sudden disappearance of his wife and the truth he keeps silent are a risk to his chances at earning a coveted parliamentary seat. But he’s kept his affairs tightly held until a woman with sparkling eyes and brazen determination appears unexpectedly in his life. Deadly allegations might be his downfall, but his unleashed passion could be the duke’s ultimate undoing.
Tempting The Laird is an engaging read, and I enjoyed Catriona's character (and her family) more than anything else from the book. Cat is in her thirties and while her family loves her, they want jher to find the love and life they have all found. Cat is certain that is not to be, so focuses on helping the women and children in her care after her aunt passes away. Loving family also being a meddling family, Cat is tossed into an unwanted adventure. I love that even when she should, she does not care what other people say or think about her. She will do what she considered best and ignore the looks and comments. Hamlin has often tried to do the same, but trying to win a seat in parliament makes him a little more cautious. I thought it had a nice hint of Gothic romance, which resolved itself nicely. The conclusion made me very happy, and I liked that  Cat's independence and honest lasted until the very end, rather than her caving to someone else's demands, which often happens.  I I loved the pair's banter and the secondary character's effect on their relationship.  I have to admit that I read another book fairly recently with several similar secondary characters, which honestly confused me for a bit and sent me down the rabbit hole trying to figure out if the stories are connected and whatnot- but I could find no reason for it.
Tempting The Laird is at well done historical romance, it has well done characters and an entertaining plot. I have to admit that I was so distracted by the secondary character similarities distracted me from the story and led to my mind wandering. I think if I had not read the other book (which I actually highly enjoyed) I might have liked this one more. 

No comments: