Book Review: I Flipping Love You (Shacking Up) by Helena Hunting

I Flipping Love You is the third book in the Shacking Up series of contemporary romances by Helena Hunting. I have read the first book in the series, but somehow missed the second. You do not need to read the books in order or as a series to fully enjoy the reads. 

Rian Sutter grew up with the finer things in life. Spending summers in The Hamptons was a normal occurrence for her until her parents took everything years ago. Now Rian and her sister are getting their life, and finances, back on track through real estate. Not only do they buy and sell houses to the rich and famous, but they finally have the capital to flip their very own beachfront property. But then she catches the attention of a sexy stranger who comes with his own set of complications.  Pierce Whitfield doesn’t normally demo kitchens, install dry wall, or tear apart a beautiful woman’s dreams. He’s just a down-on-his-luck lawyer who needed a break from the city and agreed to help his brother work on a few homes in the Hamptons. When he first meets Rian, the attraction is undeniable. But when they start competing for the same pieces of prime real estate, the early sparks turn into full-blown fireworks. 

I Flipping Love You is a book that started off great. I loved the confrontation the starts the entire story, and loved Rian's personality and wit. Pierce spoke to me a little less than Rian, but his determination and self awareness kept me on board. I was a little disappointed with how quickly Rian when from banter and refusal to having sex on the beach, but just because it would not have been my choice it does not mean it could not happen. The complications with our characters arguing over real estate and business were well handled, at least until neither Rian or Pierce were actually paying any attention to it- and then it because suddenly important again. Getting caught up is normal, not expecting the other half to be just as oblivious bothered me a little. I do not know why, but this little things added up and just left me enjoying the story less than I expected, I still liked the characters, but I was not engaged with their story or left wanting more when I turned the last page. It was still enjoyable, and plenty steamy, but it just did not hold up to what I expected or hoped for. 

I Flipping Love You is a book that fans oft he author and series will definitely want to read. However, if you have not read Hunting's work before, do not start here because it is a good book, but not her best. 

No comments: