Book Review: Built to Last (Black Knights, Inc) by Julie Ann Walker

Built to Last is the twelfth, and final,  book in the Black Knights, Inc series by Julie Ann Walker. While the romance between Sonya and Angel is new to this book, the background of how our characters got to this point is well established in the previous books. I think to fully enjoy and understand what is at stake, and the depth of some of the characters, it is important to read this series in order rather than jumping this far along. 

What appears to be a tricked-out motorcycle shop on the North Side of Chicago is actually headquarters for the world's most elite covert operatives. Deadly, dangerous, and determined, they'll steal your breath and your heart. After a mission-gone-sideways forces Jamin "Angel" Agassi to change his identity, he's determined to bring down the world's worst crime syndicate kingpin once and for all. That's going to be the easy part. Keeping Interpol agent Sonya Butler from discovering who he really is—and blazing another trail into his heart—is the challenge.
Built to Last is the final book in a long series, but Angel is a character we do not have much emotional knowledge of because of what he has had to do over the years. I was glad to finally get his story. Sonya is a strong, smart woman that stands up to Angel at every turn, and I enjoyed their banter and the depth of their story. It was interesting to discover the history, and the chemistry between the two. However, as much as I liked Sonya and they talk about the connection between the couple I just never really felt like it developed from anything. Both in the past and present I felt like it was a very quick jump from 'we should not' to love. I am not denying that it happens, but with the two layers of love story here I really never felt the developing relationship- it just was. The story was huge, but the relationship building seemed to be lost in the details needed to bring the pair together, and to wrap up all the loose ends of the series. I did love seeing Ace and Rusty continuing their story, and some of my favorite characters from the past reappear by the end of the book. I will admit that I did not remember every couple, and think I might have missed a few somewhere along the way. I did enjoy the story, and seeing everything come together. However, I did not connect with this story as much as I had hoped.
Built to Last offers series fans a solid conclusion, and a knowledge that their favorite characters have the happy ending they have fought hard for.

No comments: