Book Review: The Graveyard Girl and The Boneyard Boy by Martin Matthews

The Graveyard Girl and The Boneyard Boy by Martin Matthews is a young adult novel. 16-year-old albino Drake Stevenson lives a life alone in his world of video games and comic books, dreaming of one day saving a real princess. But fantasy becomes reality when his lawyer father suffers a heart attack, and the Stevensons are forced to move to flyover country in order to take up the family business: Stewardship of the oldest and largest cemetery in the state. There, among the weeping angels and willows of Centralia Cemetery, Drake meets Scarlet, an unusual girl who needs his help to find her killer. Complicated by his albinism, a mentally unstable sister bent on high school domination at any cost, and a jock with a deadly secret, Drake sets out to find the shattering truth about a murder no one will speak of, to help a girl no one can see.
The Graveyard Girl and The Boneyard Boy captured my attention right away, and kept me guessing through the entire book. Drake has a self effacing sense of humor. while dealing with his own issues and the family issues around him he keeps his feet fairly well grounded while still able to laugh at himself and wonder how things could be better. I liked the introduction of setting and characters, it was faced well and worked perfectly in the story. I did not care for some of the love triangle hints, thought it was unnecessary. Why couldn't he just be friends with Sasha or Scarlett, or both for that matter. Why would he pursue both, and why would Scarlett pursue Drake when she was in a happy relationship before all this began? I just do not understand the need for all relationships to include a romantic component when sometimes a good friend is much more important. Love triangle rant over, because that was really the only fault I could find with the book. I adored Drake's character, while sometimes he felt really young and I did not always agree with his decisions, I think he was a well built character. His parents and sister were important to the arch of the story, and the way Drake connected with others.The dichotomy of his sister's personality, the way everyone viewed her, and the way everyone viewed him was realistic and still hit me right in the feels, because doesn't everyone sometimes feel like they have gotten the short end of the stick socially, in the family, or in some other way.  I like how thorough and well planned that built up the family and personal dramas were. Even the secondary characters had plenty of family or personal information shared to make them dynamic and explain them. The mystery surrounding Scarlet, the car accident, and more had me at the edge of my seat and turning pages well past my bedtime. 
The Graveyard Girl and The Boneyard Boy is a well done young adult novel with complex characters, compelling mystery and coming of age drama, and a solid resolution. Although, I admit that I would love to see a follow up about our characters in five or ten years to see just how things end up in the long term. 

No comments: