Early Book Review: The Cowboy Who Came Calling by Linda Broday

The Cowboy Who Came Calling by Linda Broday is the third book in the Texas Heroes series. It is currently scheduled for release on February 6 2018. I have not read the other books in the series, and while I suspect those that have will have more information on the characters than newcomers to the series, it was a fine read even as a stand alone.

Glory Day may be losing her vision, but that doesn't mean she'll ever stop fighting. Determined to provide for her struggling family, she confronts an outlaw with a price on his head. But when a mysterious cowboy gets between her and her target, Glory accidentally shoots him instead. Flustered, she has no option but to take the handsome stranger home to treat his wounds. Former Texas Ranger Luke McClain didn't plan to fall in love, but there's no denying the strength of Glory's will or the sweetness of her heart. But Glory's been burned before, and Luke will have to reach into the depths of his own battered soul to convince her to take a chance.

The Cowboy Who Came Calling is a fast and entertaining read. I liked the characters, particularly Glory's resilience and pride. She is handling things she should not have to, but deals with everything as best she can. Luke is struggling with the loss of his purpose and standing as a Texas Ranger, and looking to redeem himself by finding the person that framed him. Their interactions are highly entertaining, I really enjoyed the banter. I found Glory to be a little more developed than Luke, but I think fans of the series will have more information and a better understanding of him. That being said, I loved the secondary characters and the way the various conflicts interconnected and effected each other. I liked some of the secondary characters, or their part in the story. I think the danger and family portions of the story were very well done, and I enjoyed the way Glory kept her independence despite the vision issues. I also liked Luke's honor and determination- but I was frustrated with the characters a bit because the majority of the issues the romance faced were based on pride and lack of communication rather than actual issues. Not unusual, because if our main players ever sat down and had a real conversation- without holding back- most romance storylines would be over fairly quick. I did enjoy the read, and got caught up in the story as I read. I just might go back and read the previous books in the series, mainly because I am interested in the characters introduced here and I am curious about them.

The Cowboy Who Came Calling is a solid historical romance with several interesting conflicts and smaller story lines. Pride and honor play a major role in the story, however it is the well defined characters and banter really engage the reader and keep them turning the pages.

No comments: