Book Review: My Secret Dog by Tom Alexander

My Secret Dog by Tom Alexander is a picturebook. I always wanted a dog, but Mum said I wasn't allowed. So I got one anyway. My secret dog lives in the cupboard and we sneak out at night to play. We'll be best friends forever, so long as Mum doesn't find out.
My Secret Dog is a picturebook about the responsibility and work that comes with owning a pet, as well as how much trouble secrets and lies can cause. The text is simple and fun, letting the reader imagine all sorts of craziness. The illustrations are pretty basic, stick figures that have a lot of fun with the use of black and white spaces. I liked the read, on the entertainment and lesson giving level. I think I might have to read this with my daughter who insists that we need a dog, right now!

No comments: