Early Book Review: So I Married a Sorcerer (The Embraced) by Kerrelyn Sparks

So I Married a Sorcerer is the second book in The Embraced series by Kerrelyn Sparks. It is currently scheduled for release on August 29 2017. While those that have not read the first book in the series will be able to enjoy the adventure and romance fully, I think those that are reading the series in order will enjoy it more because of the recurring secondary characters and the larger story arc that carries across the books.

Growing up on the Isle of Moon, Brigitta knows nothing of her past, except that she is Embraced: born with powers that forced her into hiding. Everything changes when she learns she’s a princess, hidden away from her villainous half-brother who now rules the kingdom. But he knows about Brigitta, and he’ll do anything to get her back. Unless a certain roguish pirate has anything to say about it. Rupert is both an infamous pirate and a sorcerer with the power to harness the wind. He’s been waiting nineteen years for revenge, and he needs Brigitta to get it. What begins as a kidnapping of the fiery beauty turns into a fierce attraction. But can he win the captive princess’s heart? 

So I Married a Sorcerer is a fun and adventurous ride. I loved the characters, and who can resist a noble pirate, especially one with so much heart. I enjoyed Brigitta's spirit, gift, and intelligence. While there were moments when I wanted to kick the nun travelling with her, she seemed just as exacerbated as I was. I was highly entertained by Rupert's second in command, and the cabin boy on the ship. It really is the character development and interaction that makes Spark's work so engaging. I cared about the characters, found their banter amusing, and felt for them as they faced troubles and worries. Some if the twists and turns I saw coming, others came out of the blue and I was pleasantly surprised. I was thinking about the characters, including the secondary characters, well after I finished the book and moved onto the next on my list.

So I Married a Sorcerer is a good continuation to this series, and I fully plan on following the rest of the story. I am eager to see the rest of the sisters find love.

No comments: