Book Review: Nick Newton is not a Genius by S.E.M. Ishida

Nick Newton is not a Genius by S.E.M. Ishida is a children's book about a boy from a family of geniuses. Nick is not a genius, he is a merely average boy from the country of Thauma. He may not be brilliant like his mom and dad or a child prodigy like his sister, but he won’t let that stop him from uncovering the mysteries of a clockwork factory or revealing a war hero’s greatest secret. With help from two new friends and his butler named Jude, Nick embarks on an adventure that will change his life forever.
Nick Newton is not a Genius is a good story about Nick Newton, trying to live up to his family name while still using his unique perspective and interest to be happy. I like that his skill set is still outstanding, but not considered on par with his family's based on standard measures. However, his intelligence just takes a different path. Sometimes being different, and thinking differently, is the key to being happy. I was glad to see Nick's journey being one that highlights this idea rather than him suddenly wowing the world by really being who they wanted him to be. I liked that most characters ended up being different than the perceptions others had about them.  I would have liked a little more information on the world the story was taking place in, and its particulars. I feel like we were kind of dropped into a story and missing an introduction, and then we were missing a bit of an ending. While there was a conclusion, there was just way too much unanswered to make me happy. I really wanted more, on both ends of the story. Part of this was because I liked the world and the characters and honestly wanted to know more about them all, and part of it was that I do not feel like I got the whole picture.

Nick Newton is not a Genius held my interest and told a story about finding yourself, and being happy with your own gifts. My only biggest issue with the book is the ending. It was left open ended, with clear paths of continuation. I felt more like I was missing the last chapter than there was a sequel to come.

No comments: