Book Review: Wolves (I Bring the Fire) by C. Gockel

Wolves by C. Gockel is the first book in the I Bring the Fire series. The series is complete, and seven books long.
In the middle of America, on Route 44, Amy Lewis has a plan, to get to her grandma’s house in time for dinner. Galaxies away Loki is waking up in a prison cell, strangely without a hangover, and with no idea what he’s done wrong this time. But he does know Thor is hiding something, Odin is up to something wicked, and there seems to be something he’s forgotten. A very nice midwestern girl and a jaded, still very mischievous, Loki must join forces to outwit gods, elves, magic sniffing cats, and nosy neighbors. If Loki can remember exactly what he’s forgotten and Amy can convince him not to be too distracted by Earthly gadgets, her boobs, or three day benders, they just might pull it off.  

Wolves is a fast paced romp through three different realms, and lots of quirky characters. I was glad to see Loki have his side of the myths surrounding him , since I also felt like there was more to his stories. Amy is pretty close to broke and struggling to stay awake and get to her grandmother's house in one piece with her ugly dog when things go wrong. Loki makes for a unexpected savior, even if he introduces himself as Thor. Loki is on his own mission, trying to find and save the only family members he has left, and trying to put together missing information that he clearly once knew. the adventures include Loki figuring out our world, and Amy coming to terms with the particulars of the man who saved her, and how that effect reality as she knows it. I really enjoyed the fresh perspective on mythology I thought I had a solid knowledge of, and the was it has encouraged me to go back and re explore them. I just wish the story had some sort of satisfying wrap up before giving me the teaser for the next volume. I really want to know what happens next, and have added the next six books in the series to me 'hope to read' list.


Wolves is a book that I found entertaining and funny but that was very reminiscent of the Marvel movies and television series that are currently very popular. Of course, I am among those that are loving them, so this is not necessarily a bad thing. My big complaint here is the non ending, and the feeling that the book ended in the middle. It would have gotten more tarts if I felt satisfied with the stories as it stands. I am promised that there is an ending in sight, but that a serious and satisfying conclusion does happen- but not until the end of book three! I will let you know when I get that far.

No comments: